Oscar pick of the day My Week With Marilyn

 Michelle Williams who steps into Marilyn Monroe's dainty shoes in My Week With Marilyn talks about the challenges of donning the sexy image of the Hollywood diva and being pitched against Meryl Streep for this year's Oscar in the Best Actress category...
Was there any hesitation on your part in taking on such an iconic role, playing Marilyn Monroe?
I knew the moment that I closed the script that I was going to say yes, and that I wanted to play that part. And that was followed by a feeling of dread because I didn't know how I was going to do it. I knew I was in for the challenge of my adult work life. So there was hesitation but I had to ignore it because it wasn't getting me anywhere good.
In pics: Meet the Academy Award nominees

Tell us about your transformation into Marilyn?
Look, Marilyn's hot. So I had to practice the wiggle, I practiced the walk, balanced things on my head. And tried getting all the physical movements right.
Our generation knows Marilyn Monroe strictly as the icon and isn't really familiar with her films. How familiar were you with her work before you took on this project?
Not at all, really! I was familiar with her from her image. I had pictures of her in my bedroom when I was growing up, and I've always been drawn to her image. She transmitted so much through just a simple photograph.
When people talk about Marilyn, often the actual movies get lost. What's your favourite of her movies?
I know it's a cliche, but it has to be Some Like It Hot. It's the most artistic movie. The 'nobody's perfect' line at the end of the film is just genius. My other favourites are Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, River of No Return, because I like Preminger and I liked her in that movie. I like a lot of things in Seven Year Itch, but it was really stage-y for me. It was the least cinematic Billy Wilder movie I had ever seen. She is a shot of energy when she comes on screen.
The film takes place over the course of a week. Was it a challenge to distill the essence of Marilyn into such a small time frame, story-wise?
Actually, in some ways, it was a real comfort. This movie isn't a biopic. We don't start at the beginning and end at the end. It's not a tragedy. There are tragic elements to Marilyn Monroe. She carried them with her. But the movie itself isn't a tragedy. It's a moment in time, and some of that moment in time is a real fairy tale. And so I felt comforted by the fact that I didn't have an obligation to her whole life story.
You open the film singing the song Heat Wave. Was this your first time singing on camera?
Yes, my first time probably singing and dancing on camera. The last time singing and dancing was on a stage when I was 8 or 9.
How does it feel to be competing with Meryl Streep for the Best Actress in the Academy awards?
First of all, at least with the Golden Globes, thank God, we were both in different categories. At least for the first round, there was no competition. Meryl is seasoned at this, and this is my third nomination at the Oscars.
What is your expectations from the Indian audience?
It's a story of Marilyn Monroe and she was famous all over the globe. So I am very sure people are going to love the movie.
Would you ever want to visit India?
Yes, would love to. I have also heard it's a beautiful place. Looking ahead for a holiday soon.
 

0 comments:

Your Ad Here